Some Crocheted Hats

I have always loved witch hats. I love the way they look, the mystique they carry, and all of the meaning behind them.

I also love to crochet. So I combined the two and made some hats. I went looking for a pattern on the Internet to just get me started, as I had never made a pointy hat before. I thought with a pattern it might help with my math a bit. I found one pattern, which surprised me. I figured there would be more than that. But, there was only one. It was done in double crochet, with 3 increases per row. The pattern called for joining each row with a slip stitch and beginning a new row with a chain 3. Not my favorite, as I am not a fan of the seam look in crochet, but I followed it faithfully anyways, since I didn’t really know what I was doing. The result was this black hat. I put wire in the brim, as it seemed a bit soft. The wire really stretched it out at the crown more than I liked, so I went back and wove in a chain with some spirals on the ends to act as a draw string.

This black and green version was my next attempt. This was all done in single crochet, using the tapestry crochet technique. I carried all three yarns through out, and it made a very sturdy hat. I had no pattern, and I made up the design as I went.

I did this starting with 3 single crochet in a magic ring, and increased randomly by three each round. I did not join rounds, but instead worked in a spiral.

After the fourth round with twelve stitches, I used some bright orange scrap yarn to mark off thirds of the hat. I carried these little bits of yarn all the way to the brim, just weaving them through as I went. Then I only had to make one increase in between each marker. It made it much easier, and I didn’t have to count.

When I got the cone wide enough to fit over my head, I increased for the brim. I did one single crochet in the stitch, then two single crochet in the next stitch around the first round. This did not work out quite perfect, so I skipped about a sixth of those extra single crochets, rather randomly. I kept working in my color pattern with the tapestry crochet.

I then worked the brim with only one increase in each round until I felt it was big enough. I used some wire from the hardware store to put in the brim. After fastening off the dark green and black and weaving them clear back to the top, I single crocheted without an increase over the wire. When I got back around to the start, I slip stitched into about 8 stitches to securely cover the point where I had the wire ends overlapping. I used a bit of duct tape on the wire, as twisting it would have been too bulky. Then I wove the light green back up to the top, and knotted each yarn to its start tail and wove those ends in too. I like to do this with hats, as it ensures the ends don’t come loose. Since this was done with cheap Red Heart acrylic yarn, it keeps the rain off very well.

This is my third attempt. I used the same formula as for the green hat, except I placed the three increases all in a line. This results in three points on the bottom edge. This is a home spun yarn with a thick blue plied with white, and then a thinner tan plied with some brownish. I have no idea what the content is or anything, as it was yarn I received in a trade long, long ago. When I got the cone big enough to fit my head, I realized I didn’t have enough yarn left to make the brim, so I opted for ear flaps instead.

 I stitched each flap starting at one of the points and towards what I was now calling the front, that has the center point. They are 13 stitches wide, decreasing on each side and turning every row. I stopped at 3 stitches on the last row. Then I went around the ear flap and across the back to the other flap, and repeated it. I went around the ear flap and across the back again to the first ear flap and made the ties. The ties are just a chain, with a double crochet spiral on the end, I then single crocheted back up the chain and went around the front of the hat in single crochet to put on the other tie. When I was finished I wove the end in back to the top and tied it to the starting tail, and wove those ends in.

The hat turned out to be a bit longer in the back with those extra rows, and it fits down warmly over the nape of my neck. The front center point dips down right between my eyebrows and looks very cute. Since the yarn is so knobby, the hat holds tightly together and can be bent and shaped and it will stay.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.