The Anglo-Saxon name for this month is Eastermonath, the month of Eostre the goddess of Spring and origin of Easter. The Irish word for April is Aibrean or an Giblean. The end of April is known as Seachtain an t-Sionnaich, end of the winds. The Franks called it Ostarmanoth. The Asatru and many other Pagans call it Ostara.
The first Full Moon of this month is called Seed of Planting Moon, Budding Tree Moon, or Growing Moon. It is also referred to as Pink Moon, Green Grass Moon, Planter or Planting Moon, and Hare Moon, names it shares with May’s Moon. It also shares the name, Wind Moon, with March.
April begins (astrologically) with the sun in the sign of Aries and ends in the sign of Taurus. Astronomically speaking, the sun begins in the constellation of Pisces and ends in the constellation of Aries.
- Modern Birthstone (officially adopted in 1912): Diamond
- Traditional Birthstone (herald back to the 15th century): Diamond
- Mystical Birthstone (Tibetan origin): Opal
- Ayurvedic Birthstone (Ayurvedic Indian Medicine): Diamond
- Other Birthstone (alternative birthstone): Quartz, White Sapphire
Magickal Correspondences for April
- Astrological Signs: Aries, Taurus
- Nature Spirits: Plant Faeries
- Herbs: Basil, chives, dragons blood, geranium, thistle
- Colors: Crimson red, gold
- Flowers: Daisy, sweetpea, primrose
- Scents: Pine, bay, bergamot, patchouli
- Stones: Ruby, garnet, sard
- Trees: Pine, bay, hazel
- Animals: Bear, wolf
- Birds: Hawk, magpie
- Deities: Anahita, Aphrodite, Artemis, Astarte, Bast, Ceres, Erzulie, Hathor, Ishtar, Kali, Terra, Venus, Ying-Hua