With my growing interest in gardening, recycling and permaculture I’m exploring ways to make my life easier and my soil better.
One thing I found today is an herb spiral. This looks like something I would find entertaining, and the benefits to the plants sound great! By creating many little micro climates in one place I will be able to grow a wide variety of herbs without running all over the yard.
I am not sure where to put it, but I am sure that will come to us as we work on planning things out.
Elsewise around here I am working on crocheting a hassock, all made with recycled stuffing and structure. The cover is from several scraps of acrylic yarn I have in my stash and I am working several tapestry crochet designs into it as I go. So far I have started and then ripped out six different tops. I gave up on the top for now, and decided to work on the sides. Since I seem to be coming up with all the ideas for what I want on the sides while I struggle with the top. I am on the bottom area right now, and this is the chart I am adapting for the tapestry crochet pattern:
I have nine repeats of it going around. So far I am using a gold colored yarn and one called ‘Claret’ it is sort of a dark Burgundy color. Looks very much like the Griffindor colors from Harry Potter. I am not sure where else I am going with it.
Inside I still have about 20 tomato plants in small pots. Two days ago (on Wednesday) I did manage to plant the 4 pumpkin vines over on the north side of the back yard near the grapevine trellis. I had to dig out a big chunk of bricks to get them in. Almost all of our pathways in our garden are filled with bricks, but I still have tons more. I did line the front beds of iris with them. The whole family spent an hour and a half Wednesday night putting in the beds and planting the iris bulbs. Our neighbors came by and chatted while we were working, and Superman took them back and showed off our veggie garden. I also planted some peppermint under where the hose drips on the north side of the house in the front, and some chocolate mint in the south bed with the roses. My mom gave me all the mints and the iris. Hopefully this coming Monday I will get some papyrus. A good friend of mine has a big plant, and we are going to cut it down and make some papyrus paper and she is going to give me a small chunk to start in my house. Right now I have a pot for it in the living room in our southern bay window, but I am not 100% sure that is where it will stay.
I have also started working on another book. Right now it contains all of the almanac info for my area for 2009 and the first two months of 2010. I am going to see where it goes. I know many friends in other areas who want some of my books calculated for them, but it is a lot of work to calculate all of that out. So far I have included about 800 or so holidays and their history, along with how they are calculated, all of the retrograde charts for the first 19 planets, the moon phases and signs, moon void of course data, planetary hours of the day for sun and moon, and various notable astrological configurations, along with lots of astronomical data that is visible from our earth spot. I would like to work it into a daily planner format. But the problem becomes that there is six or seven pages of data for each day. Which seems a bit cumbersome. Even adding the days planetary hours onto a day chart breaks it over into a two page spread per day, if there is room to write in appointments.
I would like to add our local planting and harvesting data for our county. But getting it down that small seems like it would really limit its usefulness. I just have much more testing and puzzling to do on the whole matter.